Last week, I read reviews, and post after post about how to properly thaw out one-year-old wedding cake. Friends, I am happy to report, our cake tasted exactly like it did day one. Here is what worked for me.
1. Have super amazing bridesmaids who will get your cake safely tucked into the freezer by the time you are back from your mini-moon/honeymoon. Also, have the caterer/cake baker give youa box for it; comes pretty standard as this is a long-standing tradition.
2. When you get back, look at your cake. If it is already wrapped and perfectly sealed, give your bridesmaids a call and tell them how much you love them. If not, tenderly take cake from freezer and wrap in saran wrap. Give it a good layering, 2-3 layers. Put back in box, put back in freezer.
3. Wait a year. -ish.
4. Two days before you celebrate, move cake from freezer to refrigerator.
5. On the day you plan to eat your cake, let is sit out in room temperature for a little bit. 1-2-maybe-even-3 hours.
(For the ultimate experience, follow the following steps, for a private celebration, end at step 6.)
7. Place on a cake plate.
8. Make a banner that says one year anniversary.
9. Take photos of cake by the centerpiece that you already made a few days before with remnants of your wedding table centerpieces.
10. Invite friends over.
11. Recreate all photos of you and spouse with cake--cutting, feeding, "mmmm"-ing.
12. Cut pieces for your friends and talk about how great marriage is.
(If you invited too many friends and your cake is gone, stop here, if not, keep reading).
13. The next day, watch a mid-day movie with spouse, and finish the cake.
14. Get really sad the last remaining thing from your marriage day is now gone.
(The last step is for me only. Sorry. Not Sorry.)
15. Get super excited because you were smart enough to name a blog 'our frozen cake' to chronicle your marriage and life. OUR FROZEN CAKE LIVES FOREVER ONLINE!
I hope your cake stayed as moist and delicious as ours, if not, sorry. Ours is gone, and you can't have any. Go get a new cake, but don't cry about it, because you are married and in love!